Welcome

"Ever present, never twice the same.... Ever

changing, never less than whole...."

~Robert Irwin







Wednesday, May 29, 2013

I'm a wiz at bumping my head!!

WARNING: LONG!!
More on the topic of misogyny ((since it was touched on last night in my polygamy/polyandry/polygyny post on FB- frankly I see nothing wrong with polyamory as long as all parties involved consent))

So yesterday, as he's leaving office "boss" says to male intern, "Be sure to wear your skirt tomorrow, you'll be answering phones"
((a remark that he makes often, among others))

Granted our admin assistant is out (another location) AND this is still inappropriate in a number of ways. Further perpetrating the political/religious/western ideal of female subservience. Additionally, it is insulting ((especially given that I am a bit more "educated" than he)) and interesting to the sociology minor in me. I also find it laughable; I am more practiced at (western-US) stereotypical "male" role activities than he.

For example: I ride a motorcycle, wield a chainsaw and service it when necessary, had a boat and knew how to use it, change tractor oil, own and shoot my own firearms, can change my cars oil, brakes, tires, ect-shoot, I completely tore down my VW Bug's motor just because I could and to challenge my knowledge, I'm pretty good at putting things together and assembling furniture and electronics, I LOVE outdoor "work", etc. , you get the idea. None of what I've listed has he done (aside from tire change). I know this through conversations we've had. ((I swear he thinks I'm a bit of an enigma, and looks at me during convos like he's seeing something "strange" under a microscope.. Lol!!)).

I recognize that this is due in part to how he was socialized. And still, I am challenged because I know this manner of thinking and being is being passed on and socialized into future generations. ((folks make it "okay" by saying its "old school" etc. Such RUBBISH!!))

The glass ceiling and 2nd shift is still very much a reality in today's society. I am doing what I can to break those norms. The great irony here too is that my father is the one that taught me most of what I listed. "Never depend on a man to do what this woman can" had been a mantra of mine (my sis is the same way). And herein lies the twist. Yes, our father instilled much of this in us (we were socialized in--nurture vs nature) AND that same man, our father, is a bit of a misogynist when it comes to "his" women. Fascinating, isn't it??

Thoughts??



With thoughts of joyful sunshine and keen observation,


¤Know yourself as a Gateway to Fierce, Endless Possibility!!! ¤

"Ever present, never twice the same. Ever changing, never less than whole...."
--Robert Irwin

Follow me on Facebook~ www.facebook.com/UnicornDreamsWholisticTouch

My Blog~
www.UnicornDreamsWholisticTouch.blogspot.com

And Twitter~ @InezDonmoyer

No comments:

Post a Comment